Arch Beach Pier at “Ring Rock”(Wood’s Cove) point.
Category : Post Card
(check out the pier and the first ‘Wood’s Cove’ house on the hill)
In 1887, today’s Laguna was two separate towns, Arch Beach and Laguna Beach. The then impassable Bluebird Canyon separated the two towns. Each had their own post office and hotel.
Nathaniel Brooks, was Laguna’s first stagecoach driver, and brought water to Arch Beach via a 500 foot tunnel he carved out of the hillside in Bluebird Canyon. He also was the one who first subdivided Arch Beach for use as farmland, where they grew hay barley.
(Later, Arch Beach was renamed Wood’s Cove)
The initial pier for the area was built by Hubbard Goff and Brooks. It was built and active between 1886 and 1889 to ship their hay from Laguna to San Diego to supply the feed for the horses used in the stagecoach runs into New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada. When the Santa Fe Railroad tracked in to San Diego from Los Angeles in 1898, the “Emma”, previously a whaling ship was no longer needed to transport hay. Mrs. Cora Dunphy, daughter of Captain Brooks (who celebrated her 95th birthday in 1973) said that the ship was later wrecked at Arch Beach during a storm.
Laguna Beach was blessed with the schooner “Emma”. Later owned by Captain Oliver Brooks, Onnie Golf, and Fred Stocking, and lay at anchor at Ring Rock which is now known as Wood’s Cove. The pier was so short that it was often necessary to load the cargo on smaller boats that would take the goods out to deeper water where the Emma was anchored.